It’s 3 AM, and you’re scrolling through a bottomless pit of articles titled “The Meaning of Life.” You’re not alone. More and more, it’s become clear that the things people want in life are universal. This primal quest, etched into the human genome, seems to consume us all. It whispers in the quiet moments, roars in the face of loss, and nags with an insatiable yearning. We crave meaning, a purpose that imbues our days with significance and anchors us in the swirling chaos. And the race never ends, for the more people want these things, the more it seems they are looking in the wrong place.
Here’s my take on the top five things people want in life and why they seem elusive.
Top 5 Things People Want in Life
- Meaning: You’ll be amazed at the sheer number of people that go on Google to search Meaning of Life. Some have genuine questions. Others are seeking validation for their lives. But all of them want to find meaning.
- Money: This one should be quite obvious. So many people can’t afford to give themselves a moment’s respite because of money. We hustle, grind, and climb the corporate ladder, all in pursuit of that magical number that promises freedom, security, and maybe even a touch of happiness. And yet, no matter how many digits grace our bank statements, the gnawing feeling of “not enough” persists. The more we chase, the further the goalposts seem to shift, leaving us treading water in a relentless current of desire.
- Peace: Peace is another thing many people want in life. The world throws curveballs daily and we all need some peace to go around. Friends become strangers. Strangers become enemies. As if the turmoil in the world is not enough, we yearn for quiet corners, for moments where our minds aren’t a battlefield of worries and regrets. But even within ourselves, the demons of self-doubt and negativity often hold up their pitchforks, keeping us on edge.
- Fulfilment: The desire for fulfilment is a spin-off of the desire for money and another thing that people want in life. We chase it in titles, promotions, exotic vacations, and the perfect Instagram life. We pin our hopes on external validation, believing that achieving a certain status or acquiring a specific possession will unlock the magic door to contentment. But fulfilment, we soon discover, is a wily chameleon, constantly shapeshifting, refusing to be pinned down by material possessions or societal expectations.
- Freedom: Freedom is another one of the things people want in life. Slavery may have been abolished, but the shackles remain on many, black and white alike. Many people know what is necessary to be free but aren’t willing to make the effort.
Why The Things People Want in Life Remain Elusive
The things we yearn for in life – meaning, money, peace, fulfilment, freedom – are not just universal desires, but invitations to explore the depths of our being. They beckon us to redefine success, rewrite the rules, and step onto the path of conscious living.
And while the journey may be winding, the destination, we might discover, is not a static endpoint, but the continuous act of becoming, the ever-evolving dance of chasing dreams and finding them, not outside, but within.
Call it conjecture, and maybe you’re right. However, the fact remains that the things people want in life will remain elusive as long as they keep looking in the wrong places.